Tips on How to Write a Review on Literature
Writing a dissertation can be quite intense for most students. This undeniably lengthy paper consists of several substantial sections. A literature review is possibly amongst the most demanding of them. In this section, you are expected to summarize prior published knowledge related to the subject of your dissertation.
In writing this section, you get to accomplish the following objectives.
- You provide a historical outlook on the research question. This means outlining the background for your topic through preexisting knowledge.
- You establish knowledge gaps that exist in the literature, including how you will address them.
- You break down the pertinent theories that your research seeks to investigate.
- You also create a scientific foundation from which you can approach your essay.
- It helps the reader to distinguish between prior and original ideas in the dissertation.
Before you write this section down, you will have to gone through quite a lot of content. Therefore, it is always advisable to refine your topic in such a way that it is neither too general nor too focused. A broad topic implies that you might have too much literature to cover. On the other hand, an overly specialized argument suggests that you might too little of the same.
Once you are comfortable with your topic and have researched thoroughly, writing a literature review becomes substantially straightforward. It is structured like any other essay. If you have a proper outline, breaking down the information you have obtained is a walk in the park.
Pointers When Writing a Literature Review
The first step in working on this section is creating a plan. It should contain the key elements that must be met in the text. From this plan, you will have a clear idea of the literature to seek out. It follows then that the library might be a go-to place when you are working on a dissertation.
To write a proper literature review, it is recommended that you follow the following steps.
- Write down all the subjects you want to cover within your topic. This will guide you in searching for the appropriate material to review.
- As you go through collecting the literature, it is essential to validate their reliability. You should ensure that you are only working with credible sources.
- When you are reading through the content, establish the relevant themes to your subject. It also helps to determine where the knowledge gaps exist. Write down the key points.
- Create a practical outline for the section. As mentioned above, a literature review should be structured in the same way as any other essay.
- Finally, you can start working on the literature review. It is essential to ensure that you stick to the structure and meet the expected objectives. As a hint, the text should have a funnel approach, beginning from the general as it narrows towards the specifics.
From the aspects highlighted in this article, you are more than well-equipped to handle a literature review in your dissertation.